New World Order - Jungle Edition
Transportation and Communication
- What are the common domesticated animals used for transportation at various levels of society?
- Are there magical means of transportation?
- For traveling short distances within a city, what are the alternatives? Can people hire a cab, a litter, a rickshaw, or do they have to walk or rely on their own servants or horses?
- How are messages sent when necessary? Is there a public or private postal system, or does everyone of importance have to send messengers? How fast can news get from one point to another?
- Are there magical means of communication? How common? How reliable? How expensive?
- How available is water transportation?
- How common is travel (for any reason)? Does the concept of travel “to see the world” or for fun, even exist? How dangerous is travel?
- How large a group is considered safe? How much traffic is there inside and outside the main cities? Which areas are the best and worst?
- What are the fastest means of traveling long distances over land? Over water? Which are the safest?
- What is transportation like? Are there good roads? Who built them? Are there tolls? Are they guarded or patrolled?
- Where would a traveler stay at night? Are there enough travelers to support inns, or do people have to stay at monasteries or in people’s homes?
- Are some classes of people (slaves, peasants) who are not expected to travel at all? Are some (heralds, messengers) expected to travel constantly?
- How do people find out what is happening in the world? How slanted is the news they get this way, and in what direction? Is there freedom of the press? If not, who controls or censors it, by what means, and for what purpose?
- How are books produced? Are they common (has the printing press been invented), or are they valuable hand-written objects? Where are the great libraries and collections? Are they to scholars, wizards, the general public? Who supports them?